news from the island
Couple Sue First Choice Over Stomach Bug

Tuesday October 11, 2011

Couple Sue First Choice Over Stomach Bug

Scottish couple Roddy and Julie Scotland are planning to sue travel company First Choice for £35,000 compensation after their children Emily and Charlie contracted the serious stomach bug cryptosporidiosis, a parasitic infection spread in swimming pools, during their stay at the Flamingo Beach holiday village in Playa Blanca in July.

According to the Daily Record newspaper the family plan to sue First Choice over the incident, which resulted in five year old Emily Scotland being subjected to stomach pains and cramps which left her doubled over after catching the vomiting and diarrhoea bug, whilst younger brother Charlie also suffered a milder form of the infection.

According to mother Julie Scotland Emily spent much of the first week of her holiday playing in the pool at the complex - making this the most likely source of infection – and that other holidaymakers also suffered. But hotel staff passed these complaints off by claiming that there was simply a stomach bug doing the rounds.

Reports suggest that this was certainly not just an isolated incident as other holidaymakers also posted similar complaints on Trip Advisor. A First Choice spokesperson declined to comment on the complaint.

Back to News
share
blog comments powered by Disqus